Do you love the job that you do, or is it just ‘okay’? If you’ve been working in the same profession, or job, for 10 years or more, it’s likely that you’ve become a little bored or disillusioned with certain aspects of it, and maybe your output is no longer your best. Often we continue to ‘make do’ simply because we worry that making changes could be risky, or push us too far outside of our comfort zone.
But considering we spend at least 40 years of our life working, it’s important that we’re doing something we enjoy. The good news is if your career has become a bit stagnant and dull, there are a variety of steps you can take (some big, some small), which can help you to either view your existing job from a fresh perspective, or seek out new work that you will love.
Knowing where to begin is often the tricky part, so we’ve put together a playlist of five inspirational TED Talks, by individuals who have either challenged their existing careers or taken more radical steps towards change. Ultimately they’ve found ways to make their work more fulfilling and enjoyable, and their approaches are ones we can learn a lot from:
- Stefan Sagmesiter: “The power of time off” Length: 17:40
- Dan Ariely: “What makes us feel good about our work?” Length: 20:26
- Scott Dinsmore: How to find work you love Length: 17:47
- Matt Cutts: Try something new for 30 days Length: 3:27
- Larry Smith: Why you will fail to have a great career Length: 15:15